What the Workplace Safety and Insurance board reports in Ontario
● Each year there are about 17,000 lost-time injuries due to falls in the workplace*
● 65% of all fall-related injuries are from “same level”*
● One in five lost-time injuries result from falls*
● Every year about 20 people die in Ontario because of workplace falls*
● 80 workers are injured every day because of a fall – that’s one every 20 minutes*
● An average WSIB claim is $11,771; factor in other costs like lost productivity and staff replacement, and the cost can be as much as four times more – approximately $59,000 per injury*
● with a profit margin of 5%, sales/services required to cover the total cost of one injury equals about $1.2 million*
Source: *WSIB “Preventing Slips, Trips and Falls in the Workplace”
Ontario’s Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) requires that employers take every reasonable precaution to protect workers, provide information and instruction, and ensure that workers properly use or wear the required equipment. Employers, supervisors and workers can be prosecuted for not complying with the law.
Refer to industry-specific regulations for details on legislative compliance. Your health and safety association can provide this information to you.
We are making the world a safer place through education and unique floor safety products.